The NTOSKRNL.EXE is an executable file on your computer which has a specific function but unfortunately people have been met with an error regarding the NTOSKRNL.EXE file. This particular file is the Kernel image for the family of Windows NT operating systems, and is responsible for a number of system services such as hardware visualization, processes and also memory management.
What Causes The NTOSKRNL.EXE Error?
This particular error is caused when then the .exe file cannot actually be executed to perform its required function so the computer can operate properly. Another reason why the error occurs is because the file has become damaged or corrupt in some way so that the computer cannot read it properly, and this means that the computer cannot execute specific functions.
How To Fix The NTOSKRNL.EXE Error
Step 1 – Use The Microsoft Recovery CD
- Insert the Microsoft Recovery CD
- Reboot the computer, when the computer is loading up you should see a message to press any key to boot from CD. Press Any Key when you see this message.
- In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press R to enter into the recovery console
- Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrative password
- Type without quotations “expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32“
- You will then be prompted to if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press Enter to overwrite the file.
- Type exit to reboot the computer.
Step 2 – Clean Out The Registry
The registry is also another cause of the NTOSKRNL.EXE error. The “registry” is a large database for Windows, which stores all the important settings & functions that your computer will be using to run. The NTOSKRNL.EXE error will often be caused by registry settings becoming damaged & corrupted, making it essential that you’re able to clean the possible problems this part of your PC has by using a reliable registry cleaner tool. Cleaning the registry will ensure that all problematic files and faulty components get deleted out of the system. However, before proceeding with this method, a registry cleaner application must be downloaded. Choose wisely, and make sure the program you go with comes highly recommended by computer experts, as some registry cleaners are outdated and ineffective.